Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Meeting with My supervisor!


I met with my site supervisor, Orphalinda Bazan, executive director of middle school and grants on Wednesday, Feb. 9, 2011 after our principal’s meeting. We discussed my desire to get as much experience as possible during this internship and to be able to see all the aspects of Galena Park that our superintendent has to assess as he runs our district. I shared our textbook with her and explained that I looked at the examples in the book to base my activities from for my internship. She received my most updated plan via email Feb 5, 2011, though she had previously read it in draft form. She asked a few questions to ensure I included important people and to make sure I took out certain people as they are retiring and will not be accessible into the upcoming year. She liked that I included Ken Wallace and Arnold Ramirez, as they will be the new assistant superintendents and this will let me see their vision for their new roles. She also liked that I will meet with curriculum directors, especially with the STAAR test coming. She wants me to have as much dialogue as possible to ensure I am preparing for STAAR.

We both agreed that this is a living document and that if changes are necessary we can make them at the time. She doesn’t feel I will need to change the activities, but maybe some personnel who are included in the plan. As our district is changing it organizational chart, there may be new activities she wants me to include at a later date. I know there are many changes she can not discuss yet that we will face in the upcoming school year.

As far as changes to my plan, she did have me focus on areas we both agreed I need to grow in: shared decision making and building trust. Therefore, many of my activities include me either interviewing people we know have made teams grow and collaborate, as well as leaders who have had to build trust amongst their team to make gains.
We are both looking forward to seeing the results of some of these activities and how I plan to implement them into our current campus plan. I feel she is very supportive of me and will have no problem guiding me to be a better leader, think out my decisions and always put kids first.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent job, Julissita. I believe you are right on track with your plan, as well. I have to keep reminding myself that the plan is a working document. As you transition your way of thinking, you have to also transition from observing to leading. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete